Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Back from outer space

I haven't been here since last year.

Book progress is as follows:

-Most loose ends are tied
-What isn't tied is being tied


Tying what's left involves answering an extensive list of questions. Printed with very little text shrinking and space shrinking, it's thrity-six pages. Generally because each question has at least two or more within it that need answering. The good thing is that it forces me to still be creative as I answer, so it's still technically writing. I think. Another good thing is that a lot of questions repeat. A whole lot. I think with everything I cross off that didn't apply or were repeats it's about thirty-five questions. Maybe thirty-four.

Either way, I'm having some marginal fun working on it. I'll also be honest and admit that I have no idea where I left off in the revision I'd been working on while tying the loose ends I could tie.

One thing that's giving me the blues (and alternative, jazz, pop, rock, metal, gospel, country-western, punk, R&B, and bluegrass) is my ending chapters. There's this semi-anti-climatic scene that makes me want to scream until I lose my voice. It's hard for ME to suspend disbelief and when you call bullshit on your own writing, that's saying something. So here I am about ready to cut that part out entirely.

Wow. Did I just solve the problem? But if I cut it out, what do I do with the ending chapters then? Hmmm.

Two steps forward. Three steps back.

Well it's not the first time that's happened.

1 comment: