Sunday, March 13, 2011

Public Image, STORY

So the post I deleted was not something I want on a public blog about my writing. I've since changed my mind on some aspects of it. All I know is that I want to be encouraging and an inspiration on my blog whether I have readers or not. I don't want to come off as mean-spirited or arrogant. That's not my personality at all.

Now that that air is cleared...

I've been reading a book that was "highly recommended" way back in 2007 by a former teacher and now a mentor. It's called STORY: Substance, Structure, Style and The Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee. Now I'm not a screenwriter. I do intend to try it out, but not right now. I'm not that far into it since I've been marking it up with notes, reminders, and speculations, but I'm having trouble being open-minded with it.

It has really good information don't get me wrong. I just feel a little lost when he mentions movies that I've never seen. He does that a lot. I'm not a movie buff by any stretch of the imagination, so there's my dilemma. My taste in movies is a bit odd.

I thought I had more to say on this book. Hmmm. Maybe I will once I get more into it.

As for my writing, I need to take the time to really work on my ending. It's outlined. I think. I just need to flesh it out. I figure I should have the entire book crispy enough by the time May rolls around to hopefully start looking at agents. I say
hopefully because I'm currently working on typing up and tweaking some world-building things. I realize that's kind of a waste of time considering I can be working on the ending and be done by my loose deadline, and THEN do the world-building, but...well...it's fun.

Procrastination aside, I started reading a new series. Well new for me. It's called Crossroads and it's by Kate Elliot. The first one is called Spirit Gate. I like it so far. Her protagonist reminds me of mine only hers is more crude at times. I almost want to change my guy's personality somewhat, but I like him the way he is. But enough about me. She wrote the beginning to where you know (or think you know) who the "bad guy" is and I'm reading and wanting to shake the characters and yell at them to suspect the one guy. (I do this in movies incidentally, which is why I don't go to them or watch them with people who get annoyed when you yell at the screen.) I'm enjoying the book so far. I'm a little over halfway through it.

Oh and I want to explain the "highly recommended" thing up there. When I worked in a biology lab (don't ask) we used to say that to each other for things we didn't really want to do. Most of the time we were glad we did it. And I'm glad I'm reading the book.

And thus we end on a happy note.

No comments:

Post a Comment